Summary Information

Gwent Archives
County School for Girls, Pontypool.
County School for Girls, Pontypool, Records
1.0 vol.

Return to Table of Contents »

Biographical/Historical note

The Board of Governors for the Pontypool Girls School first met on November 2nd 1894. The Board decided to purchase the site vacated by the Baptist College of South Wales for the sum of £1250. Adjoining land was gifted by the Hanbury family, allowing for the building to be extended.

The School was opened by Mrs Hanbury on January 13th 1897 with 43 pupils, by December the number had increased to 70. Miss Dobell was the first Headmistress on a salary of £120 per annum.

The school name changed in the following years: Pontypool County School for Girls (1897-1972), Pontypool Girls Grammar School (1972-1982), and Trevethin Comprehensive School (1982-2007)

The Comprehensive school was initially housed over two sites: Pontypool County girl school for the lower years; and, Trevethin Secondary school for the upper years. In 1982 the Secondary school closed and all years were located on the Pontypool County Girls School site.

Trevethin Comprehensive School itself closed in 2007

Return to Table of Contents »

Scope and Contents note

"Jubilee: The History of the County School for Girls, Pontypool, 1897-1947"

Return to Table of Contents »

Administrative Information

Publication Information

 Gwent Archives

Conditions Governing Access note

There are no restrictions on access

Conditions Governing Use note

Usual copyright conditions apply

Accruals note

No further accruals are expected

Appraisal note

All records have been retained

Return to Table of Contents »

Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

See also CERC38 and CEC38: Records of Pontypool Girls County School / Trevethin Comprehensive School

Return to Table of Contents »

Other Finding Aids note

Copies of finding aids are available at Gwent Archives

Return to Table of Contents »