Mill Street, Newport, Congregational Church

Summary Information

Gwent Archives
Mill Street Congregational Church.
Mill Street, Newport, Congregational Church
0.022 Cubic Metres

Return to Table of Contents »

Biographical/Historical note

Mill Street Congregational Church was established in 1640 as an Independent chapel. It was one of the earliest Nonconformist chapels in Monmouthshire; the first Minister was William Wroth, and Walter Cradock and Henry Walter were Ministers from 1646-1662, according to “A History of Monmouthshire” by Sir Joseph Bradney. The chapel building closed for worship in 1962 and the congregation moved to a new chapel at Bettws, near Newport. The Mill Street chapel (which was not the original building) was demolished to make way for the Royal Mail Sorting Office.

Return to Table of Contents »

Scope and Contents note

Sunday School Minute Books 1876-1940; Church Magazines 1908-1912; Baptism Register 1905-1928.

The deposit also included a number of printed books which were transferred to the Research Room Library:

1804 "Letters written during a tour of South Wales" by The Rev. J. Evans, B.A. London.

1836 "Wanderings and Excursions in North Wales" by Thomas Roscoe, London.

1840 "Nicholson's Cambrian Guide" 3rd. ed revised by the Rev. Emilius Nicholson, London.

1849 "Memoir of James Davies of Devauden" by James Ashe Gabb together with Davies's "Memoir of William James" London.

(Victorian) "Wanderings in South Wales including the River Wye" by Thomas Roscoe, Birmingham.

1895 A coloured map showing an analysis of the Welsh Language census of 1891 according to the registration districts. (The commentary which was included with the plan has been lost.) Newport.

(c. 1900) "Southall History Chart" by T.J. Jones of Cardiff. Newport.

1905-1907 "Old Wales", a monthly magazine published at Talybont, Breconshire.

1907 "Some Ancient Churches of Gwent," a lecture delivered before the Cymdeithas Cymry Casnewydd by Mrs Mitchell of Llanfrechfa, Newport.

1911-1913 "Wales" a magazine, 4 vols (vol. 2, however, split into 2 and 2a) London.

1916 "The Story of the Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist Church" by Abraham Morris, F.R. Hist. Soc., Newport.

1919 "The History of Olchon Church otherwise known as Capel-y-Fin" translated from "Hanes y Bedyddwyr y Neheubarth by David Jones of Caerfyrddin, 1939, Abergavenny.

1921 Cuttings Book made in Annual Report of Newport's Medical Officer of Health for 1911. Cuttings concern the connection with Wales of great English Literary names. 1925-1939 Various cuttings of articles by "Gwent" for "Weekly Argus" etc.; most of the items are very interesting to students of folklore.

1928-1934 Newspaper cuttings mainly relating to Abertillery District.

1930 "A History of Wales" by J.E. Lloyd. London.

1933-1934 "Monmouthshire Review" vols. 1 and 2 (6 numbers).

1934 "TrevethIn, a Short History of the Parish and its Churches" by the Rev. Canon Vaughan Rees, Pontypool.

Return to Table of Contents »

Administrative Information

Publication Information

 Gwent Archives

Conditions Governing Access note

Usual conditions apply.

Conditions Governing Use note

Usual copyright conditions apply.

Accruals note

Accruals are not expected.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note


Appraisal note

All records have been retained.

Return to Table of Contents »

Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Other records of the church are held at Gwent Archives: D663 (including Minute Books 1871-1959 and a Register of Baptisms 1770-1838 and Burials 1770-1849); D3761 (Marriage Registers 1952-1961); D2963 (records of Mill Street Congregational Church Newport and Bettws United Reformed Church).

Return to Table of Contents »

Controlled Access Headings


  • Congregational Church Records

Return to Table of Contents »

Other Finding Aids note

Copies of finding aids are available at Gwent Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »

Collection Inventory

Sunday School 

 D849/1 Minute Book 1876-1899 

 D849/2 Minute Book 1899-1911 

 D849/3 Minute Book 1911-1922 

 D849/4 Minute Book 1923-1940 

Return to Table of Contents »

 D849/5 Church Visitor's Book 1910-1935 

Return to Table of Contents »

 D849/6 Church Magazines (Vol. 6 no. 61 to Vol. 10 no. 192) 1908-1912 

Return to Table of Contents »

 D849/7 Register of Baptisms 1905-1928 

Return to Table of Contents »