Barham Congregational Chapel, Beaufort, and other records

Summary Information

Gwent Archives
Ainon Baptist Church, Abertysswg.
Badminton W.O.A.P. Committee.
Barham Congregational Chapel, Beaufort.
Barham Congregational Chapel, Beaufort, and other records
0.03 Cubic Metres 2 boxes

Return to Table of Contents »

Biographical/Historical note

Barham English Congregational Church, Carmeltown, Beaufort, was built in 1859 and rebuilt in 1886. It was the daughter church of Carmel Welsh Congregational Church which had a Welsh-speaking congregation. In the 1840s and 1850s, it was considered that the population in the area was becoming more English-speaking and there was a need for a church where the English language could be spoken. The Rev. Thomas Rees of Carmel was instrumental in leading the discussions for the provision of the new church, and a conference was held at Beaufort in 1853. In January 1857, a special Church meeting was called at which it was proposed that a new chapel should be built. A day school (the British School) was opened in 1857, while land was purchased at the side of the school for a new chapel, which opened in April 1859. The name ‘Barham’ was a compliment to Lady Barham (Diana Middleton, 1762-1823), who had been generous to the cause. In 1892 the chapel was damaged by fire, but reopened after renovations, in 1896. More renovations took place in 1914 and 1927. In 1972 the United Reformed Church was formed, from the union of the Presyterian Church of England, and the Congregational Church in England and Wales, so that the chapel became Barham United Reformed Church. The chapel closed before 2017 and was demolished.

Badminton Welfare of Aged Persons (W.O.A.P.) Committee, Beaufort, was a charity formed in 1952 as The Council of Ebbw Vale for the Welfare of Aged Persons, Badminton Ward Committee. The charity is still in existence in 2017.

Ainon Welsh Baptist Chapel, Abertysswg was built in 1906 and the formal opening ceremony was held in April 1907. The chapel was demolished by 1997 but the congregation continued to meet in the Vestry.

Return to Table of Contents »

Scope and Contents note

Barham English Congregational Chapel: Church Record Book 1850-1880 (including some minutes, membership rolls and baptismal register); Minutes 1912-1964 and 1978-1979; Record books 1953-1966 and 1978-1979. Financial records 1894-1970. Barham Sunday School attendance register 1929-1930. Barham Operatic Society minute book 1932-1935. Miscellaneous papers including a draft and incomplete copy of the Centenary booklet 1857-1957.

Badminton Welfare of Aged Persons Committee, Beaufort: Minute book 1956-1958.

Ainon Baptist Church, Abertysswg: minute book 1923-1937.

Return to Table of Contents »

Administrative Information

Publication Information

 Gwent Archives

Conditions Governing Access note

There are no restrictions on access.

Conditions Governing Use note

Usual copyright conditions apply.

Custodial History note

These records were donated by an antique dealer who was invited to collect objects and papers from Barham chapel after it closed; the other records were collected by the dealer in the course of his business.

Appraisal note

All records have been retained.

Return to Table of Contents »

Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Barham Congregational Chapel: a marriage register 1968-1969 is at Gwent Archives (D3761/10).

Ainon Baptist Chapel: a marriage register 1951-1953 is at Glamorgan Archives. An order of service for the ordination of Ivor Prosser, 1951, is at Gwent Archives (D2843/57).

Return to Table of Contents »

Other Finding Aids note

Copies of finding aids are available at Gwent Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements note

Several volumes were mouldy and require treatment: D6338/1/9, D6338/1/10, D6338/2/1.

Return to Table of Contents »

Collection Inventory

 D6338/1 Barham Chapel 

 D6338/1/1-5 Record Books and Minutes 

 D6338/1/1 Church Record Book: 'Records of the Congregational Church assembling at Beaufort in the county of Brecon, South Wales'. Contains: Church minutes 1856-1858, 1862-1879; Collections made 1856-1857; Roll of Church Members c.1850-1880 [with some loose pages]; Baptismal register 1857?-1879; List of members of the Young Men's Association [undated]; Miscellaneous notes and accounts. c.1850-1880 

 D6338/1/2 Minute Book of Church Meetings 1912-1928 (also Building Committee 1914-1920). Includes names of new members admitted. At back of volume: notes about death of members, 1926-1928 and 1899-1953. 1912-1953 

 D6338/1/3 Minute Book of Church Meetings 1929-1953, annual church meetings 1929-1964, Deacons' meetings 1933-1964. (At back of volume: notes of deaths of members 1927-1948, christenings 1946-1948, marriages 1947-1948 and members received 1946-1947.) 1929-1964 

 D6338/1/4 Record Book of appointments, members received, deaths, presentations, services. (Also includes: minutes of annual church meetings 1953-1961 and deacons' meetings 1960-1962; lists of deacons, trustees and officers at various dates.) 1953-1966 

 D6338/1/5 Record Book containing minutes 1978-1979; appointment of officers and elders 1978. (At back of volume: pages listing names of children and adults with objects - pendants, mugs, key rings - to be distributed at a celebratory Tea, April 1977? - may refer to the church's anniversary, or to the Queen's Silver Jubilee.) 1977-1979 

 D6338/1/6-8 Financial Records 

 D6338/1/6 Cash Book - weekly collections (includes lists of church officials, numbers of members; also list of committee members Mar 1895). 1894-1917 

 D6338/1/7 Day Book. Contributions and Expenditure. Inscribed 'Barham Congregational Church. Wm. Hopkins Secretary 1943.' 1943-1970 

 D6338/1/8 Day Book. Contributions and Expenditure. 1947-1967 

 D6338/1/9-10 Church Organisations 

 D6338/1/9 Barham Sunday School Register of Attendances 1929-1930 

 D6338/1/10 Barham Operatic Society Minute Book 1932-1935 

 D6338/1/11-12 Miscellaneous 

 D6338/1/11 Folder containing centenary history of Barham Congregational Church 1857-1957 (typescript with handwritten amendments, and incomplete copy of fair version) by William Hopkins (Secretary, 1925-1953) and C.A. Little, Secretary. (Also includes: biographical notes; a list of gifts to the church; list of church officers 1957; programme of centenary celebrations 7-15 April 1957.) Handwritten notes on deacons, officers and trustees 1850-1957 (for the centenary booklet). 1957 

 D6338/1/12 Miscellaneous folder containing: Copy of resignation letter, Rev. J. Rees Price 26 Mar 1898. Notes on Rev. Robert Owen Jones of Blaenau Ffestiniog (pastor of the church 1912-1946). Letter (incomplete) from (un-named) nephew of Thomas Richmond, described as the founder of Barham Church, referring to the schoolroom and beginnings of the church, 27 Aug 1953. National Provincial Bank Ltd. Ebbw Vale branch, list of deeds of Barham Church, held on account of William Arthur Mees and C.A. Little, 23 Aug 1954. Sisterhood account (income and expenditure) 1959-1960. Barham Cong. Church annual report, year ending 31 Dec 1963. Draft Charity statement of accounts for HM Tax Inspector 1963-1964. Correspondence with Congregational Church in S. Wales and Monmouthshire re Home Churches Fund 1967. Notes on minutes of church meetings held 11 Oct 1970 and 6 Dec 1970. Handbook of the Congregational Church in South Wales and Monmouthshire, 1971/2. Note re Diamond Wedding celebration of Mr. and Mrs. William Crewe, Jan 1934. Note re death of Albert Palmer 20 Jun 1952. Typescript poems 'Forgotten', etc. (unnamed author, undated). 1953-1972 

 D6338/2 Other Records 

 D6338/2/1 Badminton Welfare of Aged Persons (W.O.A.P.) Committee, Beaufort, Minute Book. Inscribed 'Minutes commencing January 25th 1956, D.E. Stokes'. (Meetings were held at the Pensioners' Hall. The function of the committee was to raise funds for the renovation of the Hall, and to further the comforts of the old people.) 1956-1958 

Biographical/Historical note

This was a charity formed in 1952 as The Council of Ebbw Vale for the Welfare of Aged Persons, Badminton Ward Committee. The charitable objectives were: To provide facilities for education and physical and mental recreation and to pursue any objects which now or hereafter may be deemed by law to be charitable for the benefit of elderly people who are of limited means and who live in the before-mentioned wards of the urban area. The charity is still in existence in 2017.

 D6338/2/2 Ainon Baptist Chapel, Abertysswg. Minute Book of church meetings. Inscribed (in back) 'Robert Jones. Minute Book of Ainon Baptist Church'; (in front) 'Rev. R.B. Jones, Gwernlwyn, Porth, Glam.; Principal Phillips Cardiff College; Rev. M.P. Evans Bethany Risca Mon.; D. John Davies Victoria Ebbw Vale'. Enclosed: list of outstanding debts of the church Mar 1938; Baptismal certificate of Robert Joel Griffiths, 14 Jun 1959. 1923-1937 

Biographical/Historical note

Ainon Welsh Baptist Chapel, Abertysswg was built in 1906, and the opening ceremonies were held in April 1907. It was located in Warns Terrace, Walter Street, Abertysswg. The main chapel was demolished by 1997, but the congregation continued to meet in the Vestry.